Clemloves

A little bit of everything

Monday 25 July 2016

Because We Are Bad: OCD and a Girl Lost in Thought by Lily Bailey | Book Review



How lovely has the weather been recently. It's so nice have some lovely warm sunny weather. I've recently just got back off holiday, It went so quick though, but I had a really good time. It was nice to visit some new places, relax, eat lots and be with a good friend. 

Today's book review* is by Lily Bailey who is an author and model. The book I have been reading and am reviewing is called 'Because We Are Bad: OCD and a Girl Lost in Thought.' Lily has suffered from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder from a very young age as a child and teenager. Because We Are Bad was published this year in May and Lily shares her experiences of having OCD. In 2014 Lily started campaigning for better awareness and understanding of OCD.





"As a child, Lily Bailey knew she was bad. By the age of 13, she had killed someone with a thought, spread untold disease, and ogled the bodies of other children.

Only by performing an exhausting series of secret routines could she correct her wrongdoing. But it was never enough.

She had a severe case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and it came with a bizarre twist."

Firstly I want to say that Because We Are Bad is a brilliant and very-well written book. As this is Lily's story, it is done in first person, so we follow Lily all the way through the book and her experiences from a very young age and throughout childhood, being a teenager and as an adult. Because We are Bad, is eye-opening, inspiring, true and honest. Lily explains OCD brilliantly in this book, along with some humour and very emotional parts. For me this book has helped me lots, as well as being a brilliant and powerful book. I also feel that this book will help so many more people and to help people get a better understanding of OCD, whether this may be someone who has OCD, or helping family and friends to understand more, through Lily's experiences. 

At the beginning of the book, this book starts from when Lily was very young. We experience through reading, what it was like for Lily, to have OCD at a very young age, from her childhood memories and whilst being at school to being a teenager and being 21. Lily also writes about a Dr she went to and being on medication. I am so grateful that Lily has written this book and to speak about having Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. As soon as I started reading this book, I read half of the book straight away, I was captured from the first sentence and I just wanted to keep reading and reading and know more about Lily.

Like Lily, I too have had OCD since a very young age, it's something though that has gradually got worse. It has been getting worse over the last couple of years really, with the constant battles and thoughts going on in my mind and obsessions. I have now asked for some help from my doctors. OCD is something I have kept private for so long and I haven't wanted to talk about it to anyone. This is why I am so grateful that Lily has written Because We Are Bad, as it has helped me to speak up. 

A while back, I felt as if I was the only one experiencing what I was feeling and felt so alone, but that's not the case, I have been able now to realise that I'm not alone. For so long I had no idea what was happening in my mind, what with the constant thoughts, and battles going on, but now I understand more, and I'm not alone. A lot of people seem to think that OCD is all about flicking switches on and off and having to clean constantly, wash hands and check things all of the time, but there is so much more. Like Lily there is so much more that I too myself have and am experiencing, and this is what needs to be recognised more, there are so many misconceptions.

Lily is an amazing, brave and inspiring young woman. I have really enjoyed reading Because We Are Bad. This book has helped me personally to understand OCD so much more and gives an honest insight of what it is like to live with. I highly recommend reading this book. I have also been reading some of Lily's articles online and listening to a podcast, click here to listen to it.  You can Purchase Because We Are Bad hereThank you Lily for writing Because We Are Bad.



Please see my disclaimer here. All opinions are 100% my own and honest.

Share:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig