Clemloves

A little bit of everything

Monday 13 March 2017

A Perilous Undertaking by Deanna Raybourn | Book Review


Hi everyone, I hope you had a lovely weekend. I spent the weekend mostly binge watching shows on Netflix, oops! It just has to be done sometimes. I just needed some relaxation time this weekend and to unwind a little. There will actually be a post out soon with some of my favourite Netflix shows on, as I really want to share them with you. I also joined in the Blogosphere Twitter chat this weekend too, which I absolutely love. Everyone is so friendly. I would love to know which Twitter chats you love to join in with. I'm really looking forward to The Girl Gang Twitter chat tonight. Anyway, on to the book review...

Today I am reviewing A Perilous Undertaking* by Deanna Raybourn. This book is a sequel and is the second book in the Veronica Speedwell series. Deanna Raybourn is the author of the award-winning New York Times bestselling Lady Julia series. Although this book is a sequel it can also be read as a stand alone-novel. As you may know from my previous book reviews, I do love a good book cover, and this one really stood out for me.




This book is set in London in 1887. Veronica Speedwell, a butterfly hunter and Victorian adventuress, gets an invite to the Curiosity Club, which is a ladies only establishment for daring and intrepid women. Whilst at the club, Veronica meets a quite mysterious woman called Lady Sundridge, who then asks Veronica to take on a task to save art patron Miles Ramsforth, who has been accused of a terrible crime. Veronica must uncover the true identity of Lady Sundridge as all is not as it seems. There are many secrets that must be uncovered. So Veronica along with her colleague must find out what has actually been going on.

With great and lovable characters, this book is a great read, especially as there is some humour added into it too. I really like how the story is set and and the plot of the book too. The book starts with Veronica and her colleague Stoker and swiftly gets into the story. Due to unforeseen circumstances Veronica is unable to peruse with her travels. She then gets invited along with Lady C. to the Curiosity Club for tea. Veronica kindly accepts the offer and together they visit the club, where the story starts to unfold. 

A Perilous Undertaking is brilliantly written, entertaining and well constructed, which left me wanting to read more. The book is full of mystery and twists which keeps the reader wanting more. Veronica is intelligent, loves adventures, is quite outspoken and likes to do her own thing. Stoker too is very smart but can also be quite moody, but also loyal. There is great chemistry between the characters and we get to follow them every step of the way throughout this story, solving the case, whilst getting to know them more along the way. There is no romance between the the two characters, but they definitely do care about one another. Enough details are produced throughout the book and from the beginning, which makes the book easy to follow, along with the characters if you haven't read the first book in the series.

I highly recommend checking out this book. I give this book ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 4 stars.


Please see my disclaimer here.


Share:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig