Clemloves

A little bit of everything

Monday 8 January 2018

Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon | Book Review


Everything Everything is most definitely on my list of my most favourite books that I have read in 2017. A few nights were spent reading this until quite late at night. It's a book that I had been meaning to read for some time, especially when the film version came out, as I do like to read the book first. Having known a little a bit about the this book and after hearing so much about it, I was so happy when I received this book as a present from my boyfriend. I have still yet to watch the film, but if it's anything like the book, then it's gonna be good.

"This is the story of the thrill and heartbreak that ensues when we break out of our shell to do crazy, sometimes death-defying things for love. 
Madeline Whittier is allergic to the outside world.  So allergic, in fact, that she has never left the house in all of her seventeen years. 
But when Olly moves in next door, and wants to talk to Maddy, tiny holes start to appear in the protective bubble her mother has built around her. 
Olly writes his IM address on a piece of paper, shows it at her window, and suddenly, a door opens. 
Maddy is certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It's almost certainly going to be a disaster."

Everything Everything is both beautiful and very moving. The story of a girl named Maddy who is isolated from the rest of the world. Having spent nearly all her life so far inside, not knowing what the real world was actually like. Not even having experienced her first love, well not until the boy next door Olly arrives. Maddy decides to take sore serious risks for love and has to think what is most important to her. For 17 years Maddy has been told that she is allergic to everything, which is why she can't leave her home. As soon as Olly moves in next door, he wants to get to know more about the girl who he sees through the window. The relationship between Maddy and Olly is so touching and real. Between them, they both find a way to be together, no matter what may happen. 

Throughout the book we get to learn more about Maddy and what really happened 17 years ago. A major twist in the book, takes Maddy on a roller coaster of emotions. Everything she has known, has it been a lie? I'm not going to give anything away, so don't worry. But the twist in the book left me heartbroken, sad and angry for Maddy. But also this turns out to be a sort of happy moment and full of relief and excitement. Towards the end, it was completely unexpected and I honestly didn't see it coming. I love a book that either keeps me guessing or surprises me. What I thought would happen in my mind whilst reading, was completely different as to what actually happens.

I love the whole medley of writing and illustrations throughout the book, I feel that this brings the reader even closer to Maddy, to get to have a deeper glimpse into her life and experience what Maddy is going through. It also makes the story more unique. I also really love the illustrations on the the cover of the book. It's full of the world outside, what Maddy wants to and hopes to be able to do and see. Memories that have long been forgotten but ones that can be made again. The illustrations are so beautiful. I loved and adored this book and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. This book shows how much a person may be willing to do and actually do, in order to experience love and to experience new things, no matter what the outcome may be. 

Have you read Everything Everything.

Share:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig