Clemloves

A little bit of everything

Friday 24 November 2017

Roast Chicken and Mash | Dairy, Wheat and Gluten Free

Roast Chicken and Mash

For todays brand new blog post, I want to share with you this delicious roast chicken and mash. This definitely has to be one of my most favourite dishes. I've also loved having a roast chicken dinner ever since I was very young. You can't go wrong with a good roast dinner. Although this roast is a little different and not your typical roast, it tastes amazing. 

In my previous recipe post, Homemade Rice Pudding, I wrote about how diet has been very important to me for quite some years now and even more so now. This month I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease and diet is playing a key part in my life at the moment and will continue to do so. I love to create quick, easy and simple meals that are delicious. I don't use onion and garlic in my recipes either, along with no dairy, wheat and gluten. 

Roast Chicken and Mash

Roast Chicken and Mash

To create this delicious meal, all you need is a fresh chicken. I used just a small/medium sized one. All I did was pop the chicken on to a tray, added a little olive oil over the top of the chicken and sprinkled on some mixed dry herbs and salt. I then covered the chicken with some foil and popped it into the oven for about 1 hour 30 mins on gas mark 6. After this I then took the chicken out and took off the foil and with a spoon, I just poured over some of the oil and fat from the pan over the chicken, just to crisp up the skin a little. I then put the chicken back into the oven for about half an hour. 

Whilst the chicken was finishing off cooking, I peeled and chopped up some potatoes, a carrot and a parsnip. I then popped them into a casserole dish with some water and put in the microwave for about 20 minutes. As I am on a low fibre diet, I was also recommended to cook my veg thoroughly until soft and to also make sure the skin is peeled from the veg too. 

Roast Chicken and Mash

Roast Chicken and Mash

Once the chicken was cooked I took it out of the oven just to cool down a little whilst I prepared my veg. I have really been enjoying having mashed veg, especially being on a low fibre diet. I just then grabbed a fork, added some dairy free butter and gave the veg a good mash together. For gravy I used one by Tesco, it's a beef flavour gravy and is dairy, wheat and gluten free (you can get it from the free from section) and also contains no onion. I used to find it really hard to find a gravy that I could have that doesn't contain onion. I also added a little cranberry sauce to my plate too.

Ingredients -
  • 1 Fresh Chicken,
  • Some dried herbs,
  • Salt,
  • Olive Oil
  • Potatoes,
  • Parsnip,
  • Carrot,
  • Dairy free butter
  • Free from gravy granules (optional),
  • Cranberry sauce (optional).

Roast Chicken and Mash

Roast Chicken and Mash

To find out more about Crohn's Disease click here.


Share:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig